CBH Cooperative, headquartered at Sturgis, offers ranch, home, and commercial customers reliable energy, agricultural, and convenience products through its network of locations including four branded Cenex Convenience Stores at Sturgis, Belle Fourche, and Union Center, and a Mr. Tire car care center at Sturgis.
CBH Cooperative is proud to be a member of CHS Inc., a diversified energy, grains, and foods company committed to providing the essential resources that enrich lives around the world. A Fortune 100 company, CHS is owned by farmers, ranchers, and cooperatives, along with thousands of preferred stockholders, across the United States.
CHS supplies energy, crop nutrients, livestock feed, grain, food, and food ingredients, along with business solutions, including insurance, financial, and risk management services. The company operates petroleum refineries/pipelines and manufactures, markets, and distributes Cenex® brand refined fuels, lubricants, propane, and renewable energy products.
What is a Coooperative?
A cooperative is a business that is owned and controlled by the members, and has the ability to adapt and invest in the interest of its members. CBH Cooperative, previously named Farmers Union Oil Company, proudly provides services for farmers all around the region. Dating back to 1958, CBH Cooperative has been committed to facilitate patrons with agriculture and energy needs with efforts to grow and engage in new opportunities.
History of CBH Cooperative
- March 1958 - Farmers Union Oil Company opens for business in Union Center, South Dakota.
- February 1959 - Farmers Union Oil Company holds its first annual meeting, a year and a half after opening.
- 1969 - Farmers Union Oil Company purchased the independent Oil Company in Sturgis, South Dakota.
- February 1973 - Farmers Union Company holds its fifteenth annual meeting reporting sales of over one million dollars.
- 1993 - The Patron Oil Cooperative, originally founded in Fruitdale, South Dakota in 1936 and moved to Belle Fourche, South Dakota merged with Farmers Union Oil Company to create the Cenex of the Black Hills.
- 1997 - Farmers Union Oil Company builds C-Store & Mr. Tire in Sturgis, South Dakota.
- 2003 - Farmers Union Oil Company acquires corporate Cenex Propane services in Rapid City & Hot Springs, South Dakota.
- February 2008 - Farmers Union Oil Company celebrates 50 years at its annual meeting in Sturgis, South Dakota with CEO of CHS Inc. John Johnson as a keynote speaker.
- July 2008 - Farmers Union Oil Company acquires propane services in Belle Fourche, South Dakota.
- February 2013 - Cooperative members of Farmers Union Oil Company voted to change the name to CBH Cooperative at an annual meeting.
- May 2013 - CBH Cooperative holds the Grand Opening of the Travel Center in Belle Fourche.
- October 2014 - CBH Cooperative purchases Finkbeiner Feed and Seed in Belle Fourche from Armin Finkbeiner.
- February 2018 - CBH Cooperative and Farmers Cooperative Association vote to merge and become CBH CO-OP.
- Present - CBH Cooperative looks to the future and embraces changes affecting its patrons.